A Message on Love
Snippets from Pastor Paul
A young man was walking along the ocean and sees a beach on which thousands of starfish had washed ashore. Further along the beach he sees an old man, walking slowly and stooping often, picking up one starfish after another and tossing each one gently back into the ocean. The young man asks, “Why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?” The old man replies, “because the sun is up and the tide is going out and if I don’t throw them further into the water, they will die.”
“But, old man, don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it! You can’t possibly save them all, you can’t even save one-tenth of them. In fact, even if you work all day, your efforts won’t make any difference at all.”
The old man listened calmly, bent down to pick up another starfish and threw it into the sea. He turned, looked at the young man, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one”.
We are living during a time; our lives have been put on hold. We have been asked to stay at home unless our travels are essential. Many are not working. Multitudes of businesses are closed. Gatherings over 10 people have been asked not to meet. Great sacrifices are being made. These sacrifices come with a great price. We wake up each day and ask ourselves, what is essential for today?
Why? To benefit the lives of others, like the starfish, who might be in jeopardy, if we were not making the sacrifices we are making.
Each one of our lives were in jeopardy of perishing for all eternity. God sent His son to pay the price for all. It did not matter the age, condition, health, or what country we were from. God’s love provided a way of hope for all.
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. ~ John 3:16
We can show love toward one another not only by what we say, but by what we do. Our willingness and sacrifice these weeks of distancing, limited travels, putting our lives on hold, could prove tremendous benefit to others who could lose their lives, if it were not for you and me.
The Bible says:
- …let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father. Matt 5:16NLT
- Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Matt. 5:16 KJV
- Let all that you do be done in love. ~ 1 Corinthians 16:14
- A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. ~ John 13:34-35
- Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. ~ 1 John 4:7
- Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. ~ John 15:13
We are not laying our lives down like Christ did for us, but we are putting our lives on hold, to benefit others who might not have hope, if it were not for us.